Thursday, April 5, 2018

U, Me n Us... LIfe is Beautiful, Be Positive !!!!



I have always felt that we human beings…. u, me and us are here on this planet with some kind of support system. We are not abandoned on this planet. 

Consciously we may not be aware of this fact but if we just analyze any situation we have experienced or endured, it would become evident that either we are lending support to someone; however trivial it may be or it may be the other way round. 

It can be an emotional, financial, moral support but it goes a long way to energize a person. It is not necessary that we go out of our way to show kindness or support, a smile, an encouraging word, a pat on the shoulder, a helping hand in tough times.

I always like to reminisce at the end of the day and often it brings a smile on my face remembering it or the anger at some unjust behaviour of somebody. 

But it confirms my belief that we may be treading on our own paths but we all are not aloof or lonely. We just have to look around and be sensitive to experience it.  I am sharing one such incident …….

One cloudy evening, in Kanpur city at the Mall road...

Darkness was thickening and evening advanced. My car was parked at the roadside while I waited for the street vendor to bring snacks (chat) I had ordered. 

Indian roadside eating joints are not considered a very clean or hygienic but they do serve yummy snacks called ‘chat’.

 Nearby other vendors were providing food to tired, weary daily wage workers. I sat there watching them sitting on the pavement and eating…..

Suddenly a tiny hand knocked on the passenger side window. I turned and saw a little urchin face, I lowered the window and asked him what he wanted?

“I’m hungry”…. uttering these words he moved ahead, not sure of my reaction. I honked the horn but he kept moving. I got out and walked quickly up to him and stopped him.

 I saw a ten-year-old, frail little boy…. Tired, sleepy and a little irritated. “What are you doing here at this time? You should be at home.” I inquired. 

He just looked at me and then took my hand and walked to a shop across the road and said, “I work here. The owner promised to pay my wages today but he did not open the shop. I waited for him for the whole day.” He was visibly irritated and felt betrayed.

 “Right now go home and come tomorrow.” I reacted
“How can I go home? I promised my grandmother to buy the ration. She must be waiting for me and it is now 9 o’clock.” 

On enquiring, he told me there was no one in his family except his grandma, who was too old to work.
“So what do you want from me?” I asked.

“Do you see that vendor in the corner? He serves food.”
 I gave him money but he refused……  “Wait here, I’ll go and ask him how much it will cost, then you can pay.”

What simplicity and honesty…… I was floored by it.

He went up to that vendor. The man looked suspiciously first at him and then at me……. I waved to him assuring that I would pay and moved towards my car.

“Wait, where are you going, let me finish eating otherwise you will think I have taken the money from this man and gone away.”

I was speechless and just sat in my car while he finished eating. After washing his hands he walked up to me and said, “If you doubt me then tomorrow or any other day you can come and see that I work here.”…….

 Hesitatingly he asked, “I can clean your car while you eat chat (snacks).” I firmly refused the generous offer, I don’t like kids working.

“O.K. go home now.”
“No I cannot.”
“Why?” I was taken aback and was a little suspicious. 

“How can I go home ……. You paid for my dinner; maybe somebody else would give me some money, so that I can take something for my grandmother.” 

“God, why do you test such little kids, what misery!!….” I wailed silently. Two innocent eyes, I wanted to wrap my arms around him and give him a tight bear hug.

“How much would that cost?” He looked at me silently, trying to weigh me …..” I think Rs.10/ would do”

I gave him much more than that and warned him to not to waste it. “You still think I would do that? With this amount I can buy one weeks ration.” 

He just touched my hands before running towards a grocery shop which was about to close……

I just sat there looking at him from a distance, saluting his spirit. His twinkling eyes certainly made a big difference in my life. 

He had grown beyond years in a short span of life, burdening the responsibility at such a tender age. Such people are hard to find.

Most of the time we think it as a trivial incident... but No, these are testing times when the invisible power around us is testing us... our intentions. So always be vigilant, nothing happens without a reason... 

Bring a smile in somebody's life, it costs nothing but just a helping hand... mere support to help someone to move ahead in life. Be that support!!

No comments:

Post a Comment